Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Schmaltz and Sangria

Hi Anna,

I must have had schmaltz when you took me to Seder at Cornell during senior year, but I don't remember the taste. However, I can imagine remembering the taste though, and it doesn't seem pleasant. The image reminds me of Depression-era people's Jar o' Random Oil and Fat that bully children dare wimpier children to eat a spoonful of.

On duck fat, I think it sounds great in theory because people imagine the fat and drippings off of a hot Beijing style roast duck (at least I do) or maybe a duck a l'orange for you Frenchy people. =P But the reality must be like the solidified white stuff on your duck and chicken leftovers after a night in the refrigerator. Talk about a morning after, eh? The mascara's smeared, the glitter's off, and it's just what it is. Schmaltz.

If you are out there searching for food epiphanies, I must be in a phase of secular foodieism. It's just too effin' hot to turn on the oven here, and I'm just not as hungry when it's over 100 degrees. I'm having fun with the bounty of summer fruit, though.

My latest thing is making sangria, and I can't remember if you were in the pro or anti sangria. Certainly, I am anti-sangria at Spanish tapas restaurants; $7 for a puny goblet is outrageous. Anyway, since we have a house now, we get to import all the kitchen toys we've been given over the past three years and storing in my parents' house and actually keep them in the same dwelling as us. This includes a pitcher that my brother and his wife had given us 2 years ago.

The following is a recipe from Cook's Illustrated.
2 large juice oranges , washed; one orange sliced; remaining orange juiced
1 large lemon , washed and sliced
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup Triple Sec
1 bottle inexpensive, fruity, medium-bodied red wine (750 milliliters), chilled

1. Add sliced orange, lemon, and sugar to large pitcher; mash gently with wooden spoon until fruit releases some juice, but is not totally crushed, and sugar dissolves. Add in orange juice, Triple Sec, and wine; refrigerate for at least 2, and up to 8, hours.

2. Immediately before serving, add in some ice and stir to redistribute fruit pulp.

Cook's Illustrated says that a cheap merlot works best for this recipe, but whatever you use, the key word is CHEAP. I've used the $5 Lambrusco red table wine with fantastic results, and I figure you can't go wrong with a Spanish wine like a tempranillo for sangria.

I've also thrown in mangoes and peaches into the mix for a fruitier taste.

Also, since I can't be drinking alcohol for all the days that Arizona is hot this summer, I've taken to adding chunks of fruit and mint leaves to my lemonade.

Best,
Becky

No comments:

Creative Commons License
The Salted Lemon by Anna Fishman and Becky Ong is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.