Sunday, March 28, 2010

Little Italys


Hey Becky-

Did you see the basketball game last Thursday? I was so excited the first 3 minutes, then downhill from there... at any rate, a highlight for Cornell :)

Was in Toronto for the weekend for a friend's baby shower and ventured over to Little Italy for dinner. I know- Italian two weekends in a row- ridiculous. In Atlanta 2 weekends ago, we celebrated my sister's birthday at a restaurant my dad worked at for 10 years... I remember playing tag and coloring pictures in the courtyard as a little kid, between parent shifts. Anyway, the place looked the same as it did when my dad left in 1996 (and probably when it opened in the early 80's). Purple walls, dim lighting- felt like I was starring in the Godfather. Good food, choked down an entire plate of beef carpacio- note to self, never order that dish for one.

So- Toronto- Little Italy- Marinella. The maitre d' owned the restaurant, and his mother was the chef. The food was amazing because it tasted like it should- perfectly seasoned sauces, nothing overly greasy. I ordered lamb 3 ways: 1) braised lamb shank that tastes just like when I braise at home but with the added benefit of a spicy sauce that I can't figure out how to re-create, 2) grilled lamb chop- juicy, seasoned with salt and lime, 3) hand-made lamb tortellini, stuffed with ground lamb and topped with mild tomato sauce. Restaurant had a simple design, great service. The house marinella sauce (tomato sauce, cream, white wine sherry, bruscetta tomatoes) was really a show-stopper... friend ordered it with handmade fettuccine with lobster tail. Something about the sauce- it was creamy, spicy, punchy- so well-balanced and smooth! Hate to say it, but I might have enjoyed the Toronto meal a bit more... then again, I'm a sucker for cream sauces and absolutely anything braised...

No comments:

Creative Commons License
The Salted Lemon by Anna Fishman and Becky Ong is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.