Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Hey Becky-

Would have been nice if I checked the blog first before sending you the harassment email about reunion. As usual, you're a step ahead ;) The Cornell chicken recipe sounds amazing- but to be honest, I'm not sure I have the patience to grill for 45 minutes on indirect heat. Maybe a job for the boys- they like to mess around with gas barrels and fire, I like playing with my knives :)

Salt potatoes are totally an upstate New York thing. Every Sunday at Mimi's (my grandma's), we'd go to the local fire pit and order two spit-roasted barbeque chickens, a few ears of corn, and a styrefoam container of salt potatoes covered in clarified butter. The chicken was so smoky, sweet, juicy, and crispy all at the same time- nothing like a smashed buttery potato to round out the experience. Dessert was always strawberry shortcake. With real whipped cream. I've never heard of grape pie- likely because my grandmother lives in a town of 1000 people... imagine grape pie is more common near the wineries in the Fingerlakes.

At any rate- the reunion food fest sounds like a date to me!

Next time, remind me to tell you about my pumpkin ravioli experiment. Everything from the pumpkin itself to the ricotta and pasta dough were scratch made. It was fun, but I'm thankful for Trader Joes during the week- no wonder my great grandmother spent her life kneading bread dough!

No comments:

Creative Commons License
The Salted Lemon by Anna Fishman and Becky Ong is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.